Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I'll trade you two sheep for a brick.

The Settlers of Catan. This is one of my favorite games, possibly my favorite of all time. The only contender so far is Dominion which I covered last week. Settlers is a simple game to learn and does have a lot of luck involved, but there is a ton of interaction with other players.

The Settlers of Catan pits you against other players in a race to 10 points. Each city and settlement that you build will help you achieve this victory, as well as owning the longest road or points from development cards.

The game starts with the tiles randomize to form an island and all each tile getting a random number. You place down two settlements and roads connecting to each one. From there each turn consists of rolling two dice and players collecting resources if they control a city or settlement on the borders of that number, trading cards with other players, and building or buying. Simple enough.

There is a level of diplomacy because every time a seven is rolled, there is a robber that you move from one tile to another. If there is a player with a city or settlement bordering the tile,  the player who rolled the seven steals a card. Whatever numbered tile he is on won't pay out a resource if that number is rolled as well until he is moved. Trading is also a big part of the game, but this can be bypassed by having a settlement or city build on a port (which offers 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 trades).

The Settlers of Catan is has a high replay value as we have been  playing this game for years. There are other versions of this game, but we have never tried them out. You can also find online versions of the game, but again I haven't looked around as much. I prefer to sit around a table with friends or even family members and play. This one is highly recommended by my play group, and is the only board game that some of them play as well. So what you waiting for, grab your lumber and wheat and get to building.

Any other games we should try out?

Quote: " I think a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed." -Algren "The Last Samauri"

7 comments:

  1. I've heard this game is a lot of fun. I got pulled into a game of Agricola once on a business trip; it was suuuuuuper complex. Kinda fun but took way to long to play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for the comment, it's lovely!
    Thank you, I'm working on my article now!
    I love the settlers game, my brother has it and we've played it a few times, it is rather fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I've played this! With my brother and his roommates. It's not too bad, I actually like it, but my brother and his friends turn it into a war, where they sit there and yell at each other, then the friends turn to me and tell me not to trade with my brother. They're so enthusiastic about it too, and we're all in university, except they're Master's students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh oh oh! I just played this for the first time a few weeks ago and I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooved it. I only wish it was more fun with two players- if that were the case, then I would definitely buy my own copy.

    My favorite game I own is Sequence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never played this one but looking at it gives me a headache lol ill have to check it out if i ever get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never even heard of it. Where have I been? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you EVER so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on my, well, thoughts.