Thursday, February 3, 2011

Snow day and a little background

Finally back. We got hit with some crazy snow, 20 inches in some places. Yesterday was very anti-productive as well since I'm determined to finish Eureka. Did you have any of this crazy weather?

Background: Origins of a gamer
Lately, especially right now, as in this very moment, I'm feeling all nostalgic. I'm not sure how or why, but my brother and I got into playing the Pokemon card game way back when. This was probably a couple of years before I could drive ( I think it started when I was 14), my grandmother use to bring us out every Saturday to this card shop / cigarette store. Here is where we started getting really good. The people we played against were some of the best.

One weekend after the Pokemon fad had been faded for awhile (we still showed up to the same shop to play though), a couple of our friends were playing a new game. This was something we had never seen before. It was called Mageknight and instead of using cards, it was using miniature figures. We got heavy into this game as well, traveling a little more for tournaments. This is around the transition time from moving to a new shop as well.

Currently, the group we started out with has changed a lot. We have had about 4 or 5 different shops we called home and the thing that holds it all together is Magic: the Gathering. Of all the people I have considered friends, there are really only four who have never really went away in the past 15 years or so. I'm thankful for all the friends I have currently, even if I don't talk to them or see them as much. So thanks everyone for the support and friendship throughout the years to those reading this. To all the others, internet friends, blogging friends, real life friends and family members, thanks to all of you too. :-)

This started out me wanting to talk about how much I want to play Magic at an actual comic shop again, but I guess this is much better, lol. Anyone you would like to thank?

Quote: "If we don't make it alive, well it's a hell of a good day to die." -The Offspring (And yes, I'm fine, just love this whole song, especially this lyric.)

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha!! I love it! I remember the Magic days! Got into Pokemon a bit during that too! Ah...memories...tournaments(I never entered. I wasn't very good. But my then boyfriend was a big Magic tourny nerd!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I had/have crazy weather! Good ol' ice! Well, at least the power is back on. ;-)

    Ah, gaming. I don't quite understand that concept. My brothers a big gamer. Got a whole room in his house dedicated to it.

    ~JD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, gosh. Pokemon?

    ...

    When I was like, idk, FIVE, I left my Pokemon cards in my pocket (which I carried around religiously), which then went into the laundry.

    They were destroyed. I cried for three hours straight.

    Go figure :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother was into Magic, my kids into Pokemon and my husband is a serious gamer--he also works at Gamestop's corporate headquarters... me, not so much. My addictions are books and movies, games bore me after an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We got the "blizzard of 2011" as well! Tomorrow will be my daugther's 4th snow day.

    I think the hubs plays that Magic game sometimes. He goes out every Wed night to play all sorts of different games at this game place with his friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *sending you virtual hot cocoa and homemade veggie soup*

    Stay warm!:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on my, well, thoughts.