Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Past the Village there is a Festival with Nobles and Spies

Those are just a few of my favorite cards from Dominion from Rio Grande Games. This is an out of the box, deck building card game where you try to grow your kingdom. A little explanation on the deck building card game, you start out with a set number cards in your deck (10 in this one) and each round you can buy cards to add to it. These cards give you extra buys, extra actions, let you remove or add cards to your deck.

Dominion is the first game I ever played like this and I fell in love instantly. Learning the cards and combos the first time around is really fun. After that, it's all about perfecting your approach to winning. The goal is to have the most victory points in your deck at the end of the game. For the first set, victory points didn't do anything. There have been victory point cards that have come out that do also have actions on them though.

There are 25 different cards in the original set, which you only use 10 of them. Setup and cleanup are very easy, most games last between 15 and 30 minutes. Depending on the piles you get, the game can move faster or slower. I've played this with teens as young as 14 and with a few of my elders as well and they loved it as well. If you get a chance, definitely try this game out. There is a free version you can play online but the card pool isn't as extensive. I highly recommend you try this out.

Any other games I should try out and let you know about?

Quote: "Change the sword to words and lift continents." - "Rise" by Flobots

6 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Dominion, but it sounds awesome. I've only really played Magic the Gathering when it comes to card games, so I'll take a look at Dominion and see how it fares. Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I bet my family would love this game (and I like games that don't have huge long time commitments). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, never heard of this game but it sounds kinda neat! Thanks for sharing htis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing about people (well, guys actually) talking about playing games that aren't attached to a game controller. Not that I have anything against the Wii or Playstation (I own both myself), but it's refreshing to play a REAL game sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. My. Goodness. How was I not following your blog before? I thought I'd come over, but I never did. Sorry. Anyway, I just played this game a couple weekends ago. So much fun! Okay, so we had 5 attack decks and supposedly that was a lot...so our game went a little long, but it was still fun!

    By the way, I see that you like Magic the Gathering. My husband LOVES that game. I have a blue green deck that I like to play with. I just love those counter spells and mind controls :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on my, well, thoughts.